Thursday, March 30, 2006

Boston

Boston is a great city. This statement is all the more convincing given that I grew up outside of New York City - the center of the civilized world. Fashion radiates from NYC outward, and my shopping obsession is probably due in part to my birthplace being so close to this mecca. Still, when I went to college near Boston, I was curious about this other city. Did it measure up? What was the deal with that accent? And really, why do people care so much about the Red Sox? They never had anyone on their team that's as dreamy as Derek Jeter anyway (apologies to Rain Delay who is excommunicating me from his life...now).

Anyway, I fell in love (that can be most closely likened to an illicit affair, because Manhattan will always be my true love) with Boston very easily. It's an easy city, and by that I mean that the people are friendly; the public transportation is easy to navigate; it's clean and rarely smells like urine; and it's got an early American vibe that I worship. I recently spent a few days in Boston, and my time there reminded me of all these qualities, and a few more that I didn't appreciate until now:
(1) They repaint that Freedom Trail all the damn time -- and I appreciate that, because I have zero sense of direction. However, if I know the Trail goes by where I'm headed, I will circle around any number of historical sites to avoid getting lost.
(2) No sales tax on clothes under $175 AND anything over $175 is only taxed by the amount in excess of $175. GENIUS!
(3) Preppies abound. 'Nuf said.
(4) If you even look lost or confused, it's only a matter of moments before a nice stranger stops and offers directions. They might not be right, but the offer is sweet.
(5) Beer is cheaper - usually.
(6) Newbury Street - a less obnoxious and scary 5th Avenue.
(7) The "T" -- $1.25 a ride. Every time I got on, I internally smiled at the $.75 I was saving per ride by not being in NYC.
(8) Boston Cream Pie.
(9) Hah-vard -- they actually have their own museums.
(10) Did I mention that sales tax thing??

No comments: