Thursday, March 02, 2006

Longing for Spring

A little madness in the Spring is wholesome even for the King.
-Emily Dickinson

Well, I've got the madness part down, so where is Spring? Historically, I have never been one of those people who longs for the next season. I don't suffer from seasonal depression, and I barely notice the change of seasons, save for the change in clothes I put on in the morning.

This year is different. I am actually longing for Spring. My body has not been warm in weeks. I spend all day thawing out from the walk to the office, only to refreeze on the way home. I've been sick for two full months this Winter. I used to love sweaters and pretty coats, and now all I want are sundresses and skirts. I daydream of running outside in sixty degree weather, with the sun shining. Every time I pass a restaurant, I envision the outdoor seating that comes with Spring.

When did everything shift, such that I began counting the days until Spring? It could be that my pitiful excuse for an immune system needs a break from fighting against the elements. Maybe my taste in fashion has changed, yielding a new preference for pastels and linens. No, after careful consideration, I think the big shift has more to do with my stage in life. I'm 27 years old, unmarried and entirely unsure what I want to do with my career. If I could just press fast-forward a little bit, I might find the clarity that eludes me. Wiser people will caution me that every moment in life is meant to be embraced, not passed by on the way to a more definite existence. I know I can't (and wouldn't if given the option) fast-forward life, but embracing every moment is so much easier to do when the sun's shining and the Spring breeze is blowing every so lightly.

No comments: