Monday, March 20, 2006

Fearing fear

Fear is such a strange and varied emotion. Lately, I've been more and more afraid of running a marathon. I've been following the training program and doing the things I should, but there are times where the whole idea seems so impossible and I'm scared I won't be able to do it. Part of this fear is due to the embarrassment I will feel if I have to tell family and friends that I couldn't do it. Another, bigger piece of it is my fear that what I'm physically capable of might be definitively limited. Given the option, I'd probably be more content not knowing my body had limits, and allowing myself to believe I was able to do anything I attempted. Then again, what fun is running, or anything else for that matter, if you don't see how far you can go?

My curiosity has gotten the better of me. I've been bitten by the running bug. Insert all other applicable euphemisms. For better or for worse, I'm doing this -- and damn it, I'm gonna like it!

No comments: