Wednesday, January 18, 2006

The Rain in Spain...

...Has got NOTHING on the rain on the Northeast coastline this morning. I managed to drag my tired, motivation-less body through the wind and rain to the 4/5 train and began the crowded, hot and humid journey down to Grand Central Terminal. Typically, this means my trip to work has just begun, as I then board a Metro-North train to scenic Fairfield County, Connecticut where I work. The trip is just under an hour, followed by another 10 minute walk to the office. What people won't do for money, right?

Anyhow, today the starts aligned to screw me. The storm felled trees right and left -- conveniently over train tracks in the Bronx. I waited for an hour in Grand Central while transport workers feverishly cleared away the pieces of tree. I then took a crowded train on a jerky, bad carnival train ride that lasted over an hour and a half. We lurched forward and came to a stop so many times, I counted my blessings that I had not yet consumed anything other than lukewarm coffee. I finally arrived at my destination, and I was once again met with the wind and torrential rains on my walk from the station to the office. I swear - it rained SIDEWAYS the whole way. I was soaked as I got on the elevator and then walked through the office door. I was met with the following comment from our receptionist, "Honey, why did you bother with all of that? If I was you, I wouldn't have come in." This is the woman who always informs me when a lunch meeting ends with leftover cookies -- my penchant for sweets is legendary everywhere I go in life. It's hereditary, and I long ago abandoned any efforts to change it. I just tack on time at the gym to compensate. I figure the false teeth will come eventually, so I might as well go down with a nice big cookie in my mouth.

Anyway, I'd be a liar if I said I didn't think of just going home more than a dozen times on my sojourn. I could work from home -- telecommuting. And in hindsight, I should have just crawled under the first rock I could find. The storm was only the beginning of my day. Lesson learned: While the rain in Spain falls mainly on the plains, the rain in the NYC area falls squarely on my shoulders.

More on that when I regain the ability to think coherently.

No comments: