Saturday, January 21, 2006

Do you ever wonder where your life is going?

Lately, I feel like I'm a car stalled out on the highway, without AAA. I watch as the other cars whiz by me, with a sense of purpose I lack. I started out revving my engine, cruising toward the on-ramp. I graduated from college, then law school. I got the big firm job, and with a few detours here and there, I remain at big firm job spinning my wheels but not getting anywhere - or at least anywhere I'm interested in going. I spent, at a minimum, 11 hours per day, traveling to and being at work. That's a lot of time spent metaphorically stuck on the side of a highway. I seem to spend the remaining hours of the week and the weekends racing around trying to make up for it. Literally, I run at least five miles a day several times each week. I power walk all over the City, in search of happy distractions. I even feel like I'm racing when I try, unsuccessfully, to calm down enough to get some sleep at night. Where is all of this leading? When do I get back on the highway with some idea of where I'm headed? Damned if I know, but if a horse happens to be on this highway somewhere and is in need of a rider, I have some gorgeous new Burberry riding boots that will come in handy.

No comments: