Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Christmas comes earlier every year...

First, I'd like to thank Rain Delay for plugging my blog on his -- including a Hitler reference gives me yet another name to add to the list of people with whom I never thought I'd be mentioned in the same thought. I like it.

Ok, so I love Christmas. I love it so much I start playing Christmas music on my IPod at the beginning of November. Selecting new ornaments for my tree at Pottery Barn is done with the same amount of care that doctors apply during open-heart surgery. Ever since I was 12, my Christmas list has had accompanying "exhibits," including pictures from various catalogs of the exact gifts I'm hoping for, along with price, size and color information. This may or may not have something to do with having a birthday the week before Christmas. Instead of bemoaning the combo (bday/xmas) gift cheapskates, I have always chosen to embrace December as the month of PAF. I never minded the mid-November appearance of Christmas decorations at the local mall or holiday ads on television.

However, I draw the line this year. 2006 will forever be known to me as the year when, 2 days prior to Halloween, the mall adjacent to my office was decked out for Christmas. Last weekend, TBS thought it a good idea to start airing How The Grinch Stole Christmas. Another network broadcast Home Alone the next day. When did it become okay to start celebrating Christmas before Halloween, or even the week after for that matter?? I protest! There needs to be a breather in between the costume shop that's only open for September and October closing up and the start of faux trees and garland overtaking the mall. How is this supposed to be the month of PAF, when corporate America forces us to start Christmas in October? Not cool people...not cool.